South-of-the-Border Chili with Cheesy Corn Muffins
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Please family and friends with this hearty chili. Cheesy Corn Muffins complement the chili as a satisfying side dish.
Cook time may be 45-60 minutes.
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 (16-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes with puree
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Cheesy Corn Muffins
- 1 cup (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese,
- 1 box corn muffin mix ((8-ounce) )
- 1/3 cup lactose-free milk
- 1 large egg
- 8 paper muffin liners
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a medium saucepan, cook ground beef or turkey over medium heat, stirring often until brown.
- Add onion and cook until onion is tender.
- Add water. Stir. Mix in kidney beans, tomatoes and garlic. Stir in chili powder, paprika, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Top each serving with cheese.
- Cheesy Corn Muffins
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Insert paper muffin liners into muffin pan. Coat each liner with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine corn muffin mix, eggs and milk, stirring well.
- Add cheese. Mix thoroughly. Allow batter to sit 2-3 minutes.
- Divide batter between muffin cups.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve muffins with chili.