Southwestern Cheese and Corn Chowder
Give creamy corn chowder a Southwestern flair with cheese, onion, bell pepper, cumin and cayenne pepper.
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 rib celery sliced
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 cup shredded 2% reduced fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Additional shredded cheese (optional)
- Crumbled turkey bacon (optional)
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and all vegetables. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat and simmer covered 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove 2 cups of soup and puree in blender or processor. Return to saucepan with remaining soup. Stir in milk, cheese and seasonings and simmer 10 minutes. Garnish with crumbled turkey bacon and additional cheese, if desired.
Source of recipe: 3-A-Day of Dairy