Spring Sweet Pea Crostini
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 24 crostini
The peas give the dip a hint of sweetness, while the cottage cheese and feta make it perfectly creamy. Served on crunchy, chewy bread topped with salty bacon makes these the perfect spring time appetizer. The dip travels great, make ahead and assemble crostini at your next spring brunch. If sweet peas aren’t in season, sub frozen peas.
Source: Rebecca Egsieker, The Dairy Chef
- 1 French baguette 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup fresh sweet peas shelled
- 4 ounces feta cheese divided
- 1/2 cup whole-milk cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 slices cooked bacon chopped
- Olive oil for coating of bread
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place baguette slices on baking sheet, brush with olive oil and bake for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove bread from oven, let cool.
- Add the peas to a medium pot of well-salted boiling water. Boil the peas for about 30 seconds. Shock the peas in an ice bath for about 1 minute, then remove from ice bath and set aside in strainer to drain.
- In the bowl of a food processor, place about 3/4 of the feta cheese, cottage cheese, blanched peas and next five ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- To serve, spread each crostini with sweet pea mixture, approximately one heaping tablespoon per slice. Top with bacon crumbles and sprinkle of feta cheese. Place crostini on serving platter. If making ahead of time, place in air tight container and refrigerate for up to 48 hours.