Strawberries & Cream Mini Jar Pies
Mini mason jars are perfect for single-serve pies. The filling can be made up to two days in advance, making these easy for summer entertaining. When ready to serve, top with fresh strawberries and melted chocolate.
- 7 chocolate graham cracker sheets
- 1/3 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 1/4 cups 1% milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese,
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups diced strawberries
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place graham crackers in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the pieces resemble coarse sand. Add 1 tablespoon sugar, melted butter and water and pulse for another minute. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoons of crumb mixture into each of 10 (4-ounce) mason jars or mini pie plates; press firmly and evenly over bottom of jar or dish and up the sides slightly. Place on baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and egg in medium bowl and stir until well blended. Place milk in a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Cook milk until tiny bubbles form around the edge, but do not boil. Temper egg mixture by whisking 1/2 cup of hot milk into the egg mixture. Then gradually add sugar and egg mixture to milk, stirring constantly with a whisk. Continue cooking until thick and bubbly, about 5-6 minutes, stirring constantly so it doesn’t scorch on bottom. Remove from heat; stir in cream cheese and vanilla. Let cool for about 10 minutes, then transfer to zip-top plastic bag or pastry bag and chill for at least one hour or until ready to serve.
- Pipe pastry cream mixture evenly between 10 crust-lined jars. Top each pie with diced strawberries.
- Melt chocolate on HIGH in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds, stir and repeat for another 30 seconds. Drizzle chocolate over pies with spoon.
Nutritional information per serving: 139 calories, 3.5 g protein, 19 g carb, 1 g fiber, 6 g fat (3.3 g sat), 29.3 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 90 mg calcium Source of recipe: Maureen Callahan, RD