Strawberries & Cream Mini Jar Pies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Mini mason jars are perfect for single-serve pies. The filling can be made up to two days in advance, making these easy for summer entertaining. When ready to serve, top with fresh strawberries and melted chocolate.
Nutritional information per serving: 139 calories, 3.5 g protein, 19 g carb, 1 g fiber, 6 g fat (3.3 g sat), 29.3 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 90 mg calciumSource of recipe: Maureen Callahan, RD
- 7 chocolate graham cracker sheets
- 1/3 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 1/4 cups 1% milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese,
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups diced strawberries
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place graham crackers in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the pieces resemble coarse sand. Add 1 tablespoon sugar, melted butter and water and pulse for another minute. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoons of crumb mixture into each of 10 (4-ounce) mason jars or mini pie plates; press firmly and evenly over bottom of jar or dish and up the sides slightly. Place on baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and egg in medium bowl and stir until well blended. Place milk in a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Cook milk until tiny bubbles form around the edge, but do not boil. Temper egg mixture by whisking 1/2 cup of hot milk into the egg mixture. Then gradually add sugar and egg mixture to milk, stirring constantly with a whisk. Continue cooking until thick and bubbly, about 5-6 minutes, stirring constantly so it doesn’t scorch on bottom. Remove from heat; stir in cream cheese and vanilla. Let cool for about 10 minutes, then transfer to zip-top plastic bag or pastry bag and chill for at least one hour or until ready to serve.
- Pipe pastry cream mixture evenly between 10 crust-lined jars. Top each pie with diced strawberries.
- Melt chocolate on HIGH in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds, stir and repeat for another 30 seconds. Drizzle chocolate over pies with spoon.