Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
This Tex-Mex style beef-filled casserole features three types of dairy products—cheese, yogurt and lactose-free milk.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen or canned whole-kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup lactose-free milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar or Pepper-Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Coat a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Combine beef and onion in a large skillet and cook on medium heat 10 minutes until beef is browned. Drain meat. Return meat to pan and add remaining filling ingredients; stir well and pour into casserole dish.
- Combine topping ingredients and pour over meat in casserole dish.
- Bake 30 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is light brown.