Three-Cheese Black Bean Chili with Cheddar Crust
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
This veggie-packed black bean chili features two types of cheese stirred into the chili and a Cheddar cheese topping.
Source of recipe: 3-A-Day of Dairy
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery sliced
- 3 small jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese ((4 ounces))
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese ((4 ounces))
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese ((4 ounces))
- Sautée onions in oil over medium-high heat in large Dutch oven 3 minutes or until translucent. Add tomato paste, chili powder, cocoa powder, and cumin, and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture caramelizes to a dark brown. Stir in carrots, celery and jalapeños and stir to coat. Add crushed tomatoes and beans. Stir in tomato juice to your preferred consistency. Simmer 1 hour.
- Preheat broiler.
- Stir mozzarella and Monterey Jack cheese into chili and top with shredded Cheddar. Broil 4 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.