Turkey Tetrazzini with Cheddar and Parmesan
Elevate this family-favorite pasta dish to a new level of flavor by using two types of cheese.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (or additional chicken broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (optional)
- 2 cups sliced white button mushrooms
- 4 cups whole wheat ziti or penne pasta, cooked
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey breast (1/2 inch dice)
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Coat a shallow 2-3-quart baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, stir in flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk, chicken broth, wine and pepper (optional); bring mixture to a boil. Stir in mushrooms, reduce heat and cook, stirring frequently about 10 minutes or until mixture thickens and mushrooms are softened.
- Add pasta, turkey, peas and Parmesan cheese into milk mixture; spoon into prepared dish. Top with Cheddar cheese and cover loosely with foil. Bake 45 minutes or until bubbling at edges and heated through.
Source of recipe: 3-A-Day of Dairy