Wholesome Sausage Stuffing Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Cheese provides extra protein in this savory and holiday-friendly sausage stuffing recipe. Filled with cranberries and apple, it's sure to be a favorite at your table.
Source of recipe: Cabot
- 3 3/4 cups white bread, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat bread, cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 large garlic, cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 pound low-fat turkey sausage
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, cored and chopped
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 ounces Cabot 50% Reduced-Fat Cheddar (about 1 cup), cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup turkey stock
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- Spread white and whole-wheat bread cubes in single layer on large baking sheet. Bake 7 minutes or until toasted. Transfer to large bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic cook, stirring frequently, 3 minutes or until onions are golden.
- Add sausage, breaking up with spoon, and cook until evenly browned. Add celery, sage, rosemary and thyme; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- Pour sausage mixture over bread cubes. Mix in apple, cranberries, parsley and cheese. Drizzle with turkey stock and toss together lightly. Let cool. Transfer to greased baking dish
- Increase oven temperature to 375˚ and bake covered, 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes.